Instagram

One-Year-Old Ingests Heroin, Rushed to Hospital

A one-year-old child is still being treated at the Children’s Hospital at Montefiore after reportedly ingesting heroin from his father’s stash.

This happened over the weekend at the child’s Tiebout Avenue home in the Fordham section of the Bronx.

Police say that the father, 20-year-old Edgardo Rodriguez, confessed that he had no idea that white powder had landed on his bed. Rodriguez reportedly went to sleep after taking heroin with his two kids in bed with him just after midnight. When Rodriguez woke up at 8 a.m. to find the child struggling to breathe, they took her to the hospital. The baby was revived with three doses of Narcan, used in overdoses.

Rodriguez was later charged with reckless endangerment, drug possession, and endangering the welfare of a child. The kids have now been separated by him.

A spokesman for ACS said that “The safety and well-being of New York City’s children is our top priority. ACS and NYPD are actively investigating the events surrounding this incident.”

A spokesperson for Montefiore could not comment on the condition of the child, citing privacy laws.

The Bronx had the second most heroin overdoses in 2016, with 308. The neighborhood of Fordham has among the most heroin users in the Bronx, according to health statistics.

Like this story? Leave your comments below.

Leave a Comment

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

*
*